- open access and open data allow adding value
- adding value is easier by forking
ChemSpider has been using a similar approach to add value to existing resources. The interesting thing in this case, is that these substructure searchable versions, have an interesting spin off: it allows ChemSpider to build a valuable DOI-InChI table. So far, I spotted:
- iucr.chemspider.com (Antony's story)
- molbank.chemspider.com (Antony's story)
- motd.chemspider.com (Antony's story)
If you wonder how to integrate all data again when things are so distributed, just consider userscripts.