Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Open Notebook Science ONSSP #1:

As promised, I slowly set out to explore ONSSPs (Open Notebook Science Service Providers). I do not have a full overview of solutions yet but found LabTrove and Open Notebook Science Network. The latter is a more clear ONSSP while the first seems to be the software.

So, my first experiment is with Open Notebook Science Network (ONSN). The platform uses WordPress, a proven technology. I am not a huge fan of the set up which has a lot of features making it sometimes hard to find what you need. Indeed, my first write up ended up as a Page rather than a Post. On the upside, there is a huge community around it, with experts in every city (literally!). But my ONS is now online and you can monitor my Open research with this RSS feed.

One of the downsides is that the editor is not oriented at structured data, though there is a feature for Forms which I may need to explore later. My first experiment was a quick, small hack: upgrade Bioclipse with OPSIN 1.6. As discussed in my #jcbms talk, I think it may be good for cheminformatics if we really start writing up step-by-step descriptions of common tasks.

My first observations are that it is an easy platform to work with. Embedding images is easy, and there should be option for chemistry extensions. For example, there is a Jmol plugin for WordPress, there are plugins for Semantic Web support (no clue which one I would recommend), an extensions for bibliographies are available too, if not mistaken. And, we also already see my ORCID prominently listed, and I am not sure if I did this, or whether this the ONSN people added this as a default feature.

Even better is the GitHub support @ONScience made me aware of, by @benbalter. The instructions were not crystal clear to me (see issues #25 and #26), some suggested fixes (pull request #27), it started working, and I now have a backup of my ONS at GitHub!

So, it looks like I am going to play with this ONSSP a lot more.