Sunday, August 30, 2015

Journal of Brief Ideas: an excellent idea!

Journals, in the past, published what researchers wanted to talk about. That is what dissemination is about, of course. Like everything, over time, the process becomes more restricted and more bureaucratic. All for quality, of course. To provide and to formalize that scientific communication has diversity, many journals have different articles types. Letters to the Editor, Brief Communications, etc. Posting a brief idea, however, is for many journals not of enough interest.

Hence, a niche for the Journal of Brief Ideas. It's a project in beta, any may never find sustainability, but it is worth a try:

I can see why this may work:
  • you teamed up with ZENODO to provide DOIs
  • you log in with your ORCID
  • it is Open Access (CC-BY)
  • it fills the niche that ideas you will not tests never see the light of the day (so, this journal will contribute to more efficient scholarly communication)
I can also see why it may not work:
  • it is too easy to post an idea, leading to too much noise
  • it will not be indexed and therefore not fulfill a key requirements for many scientists (WoS, etc)
  • you cannot add references like with papers
I can also see some features I would love to see:
  • bookmarking buttons for CiteULike, Mendeley, etc
  • #altmetrics output on this site
  • provide #altmetrics from this site (view statistics, etc)
  • integrate with peer review cites (for post-publication peer review)
  • allow annotation of entities in papers (like PDB, gene, protein codes, metabolite identifiers, etc; and whatever else for other scholarly domains)
Things I am not sure about:
  • allow a single ToC-like graphics (as they will give papers more coverage and more impact)
Anyway, what is needs now, is momentum. It needs a business model, even if the turnover can be kept low because of good choices of technology. I am looking forward where the team is going, and how the community will pick up this idea. (For example, despite I know that some ideas are tweeted, I haven't found a donut from for one of the idea DOIs yet.)

For my readers, please give it a try. You know you have that idea you like to get some feedback on, but you know you will not have funding for it, and it does not really match what general research plans. It would be a shame to leave that idea rot on the shelf. Get it out, get cited!

I tried it too, see below my brief idea as found on ZENODO (where they automatically get deposited), and my experiences are a bit mixed. I like the idea, but it is also getting used to. The number of words are limited, and I really find it awkward not to cite prior art, the things I built on. The above points reflect a good deal of my reservations.